COVID-19 Phase 3 “Back on Track” Plan
This fall the Burnaby Velodrome Club will transition to the COVID-19 Phase 3 “Back on Track” plan.
Whether you are an old trackie, or just “track curious” we have something for you this fall. COVID-19 has allowed us an opportunity to rethink track cycling in BC, and you just might want to look into this.
Here is what is Back on Track
- Try the Track, Learn to Ride, and Learn to Race programs: This year will be a September to remember with more sessions for new riders than ever before. You should be able to move from newbie to an appropriate category based on fitness and skill before October training sessions. These are fully coached sessions so there is always someone there to help you learn more and master new skills.
- BIPOC Youth Program: In recognition of our changing environment, this program is open to Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour under the age of 19. These are coached sessions on late Friday afternoons. The BVC has created an opportunity for local minorities to learn a new skill and challenge themselves to leave their mark in cycling history.
- Women’s Try the Track/Learn to Ride: Starting Sunday, October 4th, at 10 AM, the BVC has opened up 6 weeks for a women’s only session. Bring a friend, get coached, and, enjoy the track. Come to one session or plan on coming to them all. You will be coach supported all the way so you can reach new heights in your cycling.
- Group Training sessions. (pending final approval): Using the cohort model and caping participation for each block. Riders can expect to get the best local training to up their game. This fall our coaches include:
- Group Racing (pending final approval): Again using the cohort model and categories riders will be separated and race with their category within their cohort every other week.
- Timed events and Power Athlete events: For 6 weeks this fall starting in October individual races against the clock and power sprinting events will surely put a smile on your face. You will not want to miss the chance to show off the fruit of your hard summer of riding.
- Youth Riding and Junior training (pending final approval): Each week we have two 90 minute blocks set aside for youth and junior riders respectively. If you are a young cyclist under 19 years of age we have a place for you at the track. You are at the perfect age to learn how to race and be coached. Ride with other like-minded athletes, and see how your next season will be a success.
Check out the schedule here.
All BVC programs will be implemented fully respecting the safety requirements set out by the Provincial Health Officer, viaSport, and CyclingBC. The Burnaby Velodrome Club is dedicated to coming up with new options to ignite your fall cycling season.
Did you know: For the last 23 years the Burnaby Velodrome has supported cyclists from grassroots recreational riders to world champions and this year we will be at it again. That’s correct the Burnaby Velodrome is the longest operating indoor velodrome in North America and it is right here in your back yard.
Come be part of our bubble!