The Burnaby Velodrome Club has been running a successful junior development program for many years. Graduates include provincial-level elite athletes, national team members, world champions, and Olympic medalists. But the program is aimed at youth of all ages and skill levels. From those who are brand new to cycling to experienced road riders and racers.
The Program is open to youth under the age of 19. Coached by BVC coaches it covers all aspects of track riding and racing. For young riders, this program is the best place to start cycling. As part of the Burnaby Velodrome Club’s ongoing commitment to junior development riders under the age of 19 can use our rental bikes free of charge.
The Junior/Youth program runs year-round with only a few small breaks between seasons. The riders are placed into one of three groups:
- Beginner Youth – These sessions are for new riders and or riders still getting comfortable on the track. The focus here is on learning how to ride the track and pick up some skills on the bike. As long as you can fit our bikes we take kids as young as 9 or 10 years old. Sessions are open to U13, U15, U17, and U19.
- Beginner/Intermediate Youth – As riders get more advanced in their capabilities they can mix it up with a slightly faster group of riders. The focus of this group is having a great time at the track, getting stronger on the bike, and improving those bike-handling skills. Sessions are open to U13, U15, U17, and U19.
- Advanced Juniors – This group is a training focused group for those that have acquired the skills of riding the track. Training is geared towards race-specific fitness and competition. These workouts are generally suited for U17 and U19 riders, and occasionally U15. Riders should be approved to ride in the advanced group by their coach.
||Intermediate (some older beginners)
|Thursdays @ 1630
Sep 16 – Dec 9, 2021
|Friday @ 1700
Sep 17 – Dec 10, 2021
|Wednesdays @ 1700
Sep 15 – Dec 8
- Rental bikes are available and we cap the number of riders in the beginner and intermediate sessions based on our fleet.
- Junior riders can also use the rental fleet bikes on a first-come-first-served basis. Many riders have their own bikes.
How to register:
- Beginners and Intermediate – sign up on this link to pre-register.
- Juniors (advanced) and those with their own bikes sign up via our membership portal directly.
- Create an account/login to the membership portal here
- Purchase a membership $25
- Purchase a Junior/Youth Track Pass – good for one year and all training sessions and open track sessions, or Purchase a Junior Youth 10 session Punch card.
If you have any questions about the junior/youth program please do not hesitate to contact us.